Monday, December 2, 2013

Is Silly Putty Toxic To Dogs

Is Silly Putty Toxic to Dogs?

Silly Putty has been in production since 1950 and can be found as a toy in many homes. Because certain dogs are known to swallow things that were never meant to be eaten, some may wonder if a pet that ingests Silly Putty faces any dangers.


Silly Putty was created in the 1940s by James Wright during an experiment to discover a cheap substitute for rubber.


Silly Putty is a nontoxic substance and does not irritate the skin. It is not poisonous to pets if swallowed, but may present other problems.


When a dog consumes a foreign object, such as Silly Putty, an intestinal blockage or partial blockage can form.


Symptoms of an intestinal blockage may consist of frequent vomiting, particularly after eating or drinking, or not eating or defecating normally.


Some partial blockages can take months to diagnose since symptoms may not be severe. If a blockage is suspected, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Related posts

    The inquisitive nature of puppies makes them prone to ingesting harmful substances.Whether getting into a batch of chewing tobacco or accidentally ingesting some cigarette butts casually found on...
    Smoke inhalation can cause serious problems in your dog’s respiratory system and lungs. This condition may be caused by exposure to heat or carbon dioxide. Because of the seriousness of...
    Drug dogs are used by police to search for illegal drugs.According to reports from CNN, dogs have highly developed olfactory senses that can be used to detect a wide variety of smells, including t...
    Treat parasites to keep your dog healthy.In otherwise healthy dogs, internal parasites may cause no problems. However, if your dog becomes stressed or sick, these parasites can cause trouble. Hook...
    Cats and dogs can be treated for parasites using natural home remedies.Parasites such as roundworms and heartworms can infest dogs and cats and make them sick. Veterinarians can typically treat a...